Cambodia Has 2 of "Top 10 World Landmarks"
Travelers' Choice Attractions Awards highlights the top landmarks and parks around the globe as these are places people can visit as part of their trip to a destination. The winners are decided based on the millions of valuable reviews and opinions from TripAdvisor travelers over a 12-month period. The quantity and quality of reviews are both taken into account.
Located in Siem Reap Province of Cambodia, the Angkor Wat and Bayon Temple are ranked 6th and 7th respectively on the top 10 list, standing alongside landmarks such as Machu Picchu in Peru and the Taj Mahal in India. And they appear on the list for some good reasons.
Among the hundreds of surviving temples in Cambodia, the Angkor Wat is the most famed one - it is seen on the nation's flag. The temple was built as the home of Hindu God Vinshu. The five elegant spires of the central shrine symbolize the peaks of mythical Mount Meru, the axis of the universe and home of the gods. This architectural wonder is loaded with artistic treasures like the bas-relief galleries that line many walls and tell the enduring tales of Cambodian history. "Often when you have really wanted to visit somewhere, it is a disappointment. Angkor Wat is not one of those places." a traveller reviewed on Tripadvisor.
Angkor Wat, rated as one of Top 10 World Landmarks by Tripadvisor
Bayon Temple, located in the center of Angkor Thom, features a multitude of serene and massive stone faces on many towers that jut out from the upper terrace and cluster around its central one. The faces have slight differences in expression, but all are seemingly smiling at people. They say it's the "Khmer Smile".
"Khmer Smile" at Bayon Temple, Cambodia
So, would Cambodia be your next destination?
A full list of "Top 10 World Landmarks":
1. Machu Picchu, Machu Picchu, Peru
2. Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.
3. Taj Mahal, Agra, India
4. Great Cathedral and Mosque, Cordoba, Spain
5. St. Peter's Basilica, Vatican City
6. Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, Cambodia
7. Bayon Temple, Siem Reap, Cambodia
8. Church of Our Savior on Spilled Blood, St. Petersburg, Russia
9. Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
10. Ancient City Walls, Dubrovnik, Croatia
- Myanmar Introduced a Fast-track Tourist Visa (12 Apr, 2018)
- Take a Cool Visit at Night to the Imperial City of Hue in Vietnam (04 Aug, 2017)
- A New 'Landmark' Street Food Market in Bangkok Is On the Way (03 Jul, 2017)
- Vietnam Allows Visa-free Travel for 5 EU Countries (18 May, 2017)
Keep Me Posted
Get the latest travel inspirations and deals from Odynovo semimonthly with your email. You can unsubscribe at any time. Your privacy & personal information will be treated with respect.